The Joomla!® User Experience Portal

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: S. Warburton's ideas on framework agnosticism in Joomla!

Re: S. Warburton's ideas on framework agnosticism in Joomla! 1 year 10 months ago #1409

• Beluga
  • Thank you received: 1
Let me first say that I hate Twitter and I wish you all would stop using it for important stuff.. so annoying to both read and to find original sources for claims when needed. I would have included the following links in my previous reply, if not for the crappiness of Twitter:

twitter.com/AngieRadtke/status/274044542490144768
twitter.com/nternetinspired/status/280414214370234369

Based on those I formed my belief that Seth helped at least in some little way with the patches, be it simple consulting or whatever - Seth can correct me, if I'm wrong.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: S. Warburton's ideas on framework agnosticism in Joomla! 1 year 10 months ago #1410

You aren't someone in the Joomla community until Amy Stephen, Queen of the Universe, kicks your ass.

Welcome to the ranks, Seth.

There is no reason for my harsh comments to remain, it's not fair to Seth. What I had to say described a single perspective of a much more rich, complex experience. There is no doubt that Seth makes the Joomla project better. He's one of my favorite people and enjoy having him in my world.

It is very, very hard, IMO, to figure out how to make it through the complex social and technical and procedural hoops of Joomla (or any open source project) to have impact.

For me, Kyle's accomplishments and experience is something to study.
  • He was not an inside man when he started. So, can't say anyone really held the door open for him.
  • He replaced the *entire* backend and frontend of Joomla, for crying out loud. Every single bit of rendered content. For perspective, a patch for a small HTML markup might take MONTHS to vett, especially if a debate on the value of standards breaks out. (Seth - It was also a shock to me that we don't all just automatically agree on that point.)
  • DUDES. jQuery. Never in a million years.

Had he asked my advise, I would have said, don't try it. You'll be wasting your time.

There is something there we can learn that is far more important than semantics, although I COMPLETELY AGREE with high standards for all phases of development. But mainly, when I look at this effort, I see someone who found by staying positive, and true to his goal, and never allowing himself to give up or be discouraged for very long, and communicating, and then communicating some more, going to the people wherever their natural habitat was (five stars there) - he just decided it was going to work and I'll be damned, he was right.

The lesson I learned in watching him was that all the things I had said about how Joomla development or leadership were creating problems for contributors was absolute bullshit, it was me.

Re: S. Warburton's ideas on framework agnosticism in Joomla! 1 year 10 months ago #1411

Please join this effort to build civility in our community

plus.google.com/u/0/115981872999735393181/posts/aTbiEZNNw7P
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by AmyStephen.

Re: S. Warburton's ideas on framework agnosticism in Joomla! 1 year 10 months ago #1412

Beluja -

First, I want to thank you for posting the information on the bullying. I think it was a catalyst that we needed.

Second, I want to ask that you kindly remove it. Let's show some grace.

Third, please consider participating with us on actually committing to improving civility in our community.

plus.google.com/u/0/115981872999735393181/posts/aTbiEZNNw7P

Thanks for considering the removal of that post. I would like to see us give everyone a starting over point here.

Cheers

Re: S. Warburton's ideas on framework agnosticism in Joomla! 1 year 10 months ago #1413

• Beluga
  • Thank you received: 1
I removed the tweets. I'm sorry, but I don't do social networks so I won't be joining Google+ :)
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds